Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Progress, Not Perfection

I rarely measure my progress in..."measurable" ways (inches, pounds, etc...). I measure my progress in how I feel about my body and in my body and the small and big changes I see in it. I started off  using the Bod Bot personal trainer app and just getting in the gym as often as I could to do weight training and cardio. Since the last time I posted (a little over a month ago), I have also started finding every occasion possible to work out with friends. One of my good friends, Ryan, and I hang out once a week for some exercises of various kinds (last week it was 50 burpees!) and usually eat a healthy meal together after that. I also measure my progress in slowly lifting heavier weights and challenging myself a little more with the exercises I do from the Bod Bot app. I made a conscious decision to not take Summer classes due to some major life changes (the breakup of a two-year relationship and moving to Edmond, Oklahoma to be closer to my two jobs and school). I also wanted to take the Summer to start learning more about fitness and managing my finances. Both of these endeavors have proven fruitful. I pick 2-4 days to go to the gym, usually during my lunch break at work. This habit will definitely have to change when the Fall semester starts. I will be working two jobs and going to school full time, which will mean I will struggle to squeeze in super efficient workouts and meal prepping (very important to seeing results in fitness, I have learned).

Here is my most recent progress pic. What I have noticed while taking these is 1) I am terrible at taking progress pics and 2) As I begin to see more definite changes in my body, it doesn't really matter from what angle I take the photo...I just look better. I did take some measurements this weekend shortly before this photo. The hard numbers: down from 184 lbs in March 2016 to 152 lbs in June 2016. Waistline previously 37 inches in March 2016, now measures 29 inches in June 2016. Boom!


And for funsies, here are some things all girls learn when adopting a lifting/fitness lifestyle:

1) You will begin to feel more at home in your gym clothes than in any other clothes and will find weird and wacky ways to get away with wearing them in the office or to the grocery store. For example, this weird compression leggings/big dress/suit jacket combo I found myself rocking this week:



2)  You will notice how banging you look in a dress one day and you will do awkward bathroom selfies just to capture the moment of progress. In fact, you will take lots of awkward selfies because you won't believe how much better you look and feel and you will want proof.


 3) You will start to take picture of gross/awesome/embarrassing gym moments, like the disgusting moment you had to wipe up someone's knee sweat in order to use the guided pull-up bar machine thing. GROSS.


4) If you lift during your lunch break and you also work in an office, this is what your desk will look like pretty much at all times:


 5) You will begin to love healthy food more than you love most people and you will get REALLY excited about it. Oh yes you will.

6) Humorous and motivational fitness memes will become a way of life and the thing that pulls you out of a funk and reminds you of your damn purpose.



Okay, that's it for now. If any reader's have questions, tips, or comments, please leave them in the comment section below. :)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment